Thursday, December 3, 2009

Black forest cake

Wow, I've been neglecting this blog. Not for lack of cooking - we've been using our delicious meat share faithfully, and I've made some very good things. There's something about the lack of natural light by the time we eat dinner, though, that makes picture taking difficult - and makes going to bed much more appealing than writing a blog post.

In any case, last Saturday we made Black Forest cake in my baking class. We each made two 7" cakes; not knowing what, exactly, to do with two cakes, I brought one into work. One of the women I work with, F, thought it was so good that she asked me to make one for her daughter's birthday party this Saturday. Since the only real reason I don't bake as much as I'd like is because there aren't enough people to eat all of it, I was happy to do it - what a great excuse to try out my new skills!

Here's a photo of the results - beautifully positioned in my refrigerator. (Judge the other contents if you must.) It's since been transferred to its cake carrier and back into the fridge so the whipped cream on the outside stays fresh. This cake is better the day after it's been made, and was still equally good the day after, so it should still be excellent on Saturday for the party. The only downside of making a cake, though, is that you can't test it to make sure it's good - people definitely notice if a slice has been taken out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment