Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This week's haul

Here's what was in this week's box:

- White potatoes
- Green onions
- Kale
- Zucchini
- Beets
- Green beans
- Peas
- Red cabbage
- Tomatoes
- Summer radish
- 2 pickling cucumbers

We also picked up some more of the sausage that came with the first week's box - with the kale and the potatoes, I think it's time to make soup again. The sausage is a smoked farm sausage, and while there's enough for the soup, I'll also be trying to think of other ways to use it.

And since it was a weak moment while picking up the vegetables, we also picked up some hand made corn tortillas from AlbaLisa Gourmet Food. I've been meaning to try to make tortillas for some time, but have had neither the equipment nor the time (and for those thinking I could make them without a tortilla press, yes, you're right, but I like kitchen gadgets). The taste of these hand made ones will hopefully inspire me.


I'm getting some inklings of what to do with the rest of the vegetables - but what about the summer radish? According to Kathleen, the owner of Culinarium, Mervin the head farmer says it's hot and goes a long way. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it could be grated into a slaw with some of the cabbage and the kohlrabi we have left, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Suggestions in the comments are appreciated!

Update: I'm starting to wonder if this radish is a daikon radish. Another great thing about this CSA share is that I'm trying new vegetables - and I thought I was relatively well-educated about food. I've added a photo of the radishes above - they don't look exactly like the daikon radishes I see in the grocery store, but I shouldn't really expect them to, without the pesticides and fertilizers and all...


No comments:

Post a Comment