Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New CSA?

As the vegetable CSA winds down, I told myself I wouldn't sign up for another one. Despite the vegetables being amazing, and the opportunity to challenge myself to try new recipes and experiment with vegetables I wouldn't normally buy, the box's arrival on Tuesday created two stresses that became worse with a 9-to-5 job: picking up the box added a hour to my commute (downtown and back), and coming up with a plan for the week's meals in the middle of the week.

However, I'm a sucker for local food, and a recent trip to the local grocery store reminded me why I was so excited about getting the boxes in the first place: the produce varies in quality, and it adds another step to think about where it comes from. And while I do indulge in berries flown in from around the world on my morning cereal, I like to try to buy seasonally otherwise. I like the close contact with the source of the food.

So when I saw that Culinarium is offering a winter CSA, I was curious. The bi-monthly boxes would include typical winter vegetables, some hot-house produce, and other local fare (maple syrup, etc.) One plus: they offer delivery for a nominal fee. The downside? Delivery is at noon on Thursdays, which just won't work for us. And the box's arrival is still mid-week. I'm disappointed, but I recognize that it just won't be feasible for us this winter. Instead, I'll try to head down to Culinarium on a regular basis to stock up on what they've got on hand on the weekends. I encourage anyone in the Toronto area to check out this winter CSA, though - I wish we could do it.

The bright spot in this is that the meat CSA is working out very well. It's more manageable because it arrives only once a month, and the fact that the meat is frozen gives a great deal more flexibility with meal planning. I'm already looking forward to my Thanksgiving turkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment