Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Two hauls!

Excuse my laxness in putting up any new posts - this month has been a very busy one. P's grandfather (100 years old!) passed away, then P and I went to London for a week, and then his parents visited for a long weekend. On top of that, work has been ramping up progressively, all with good things - but cooking and taking pictures and posting has been low on the list of activities, after sleeping, patting our cat, and trying to keep up with the laundry.

In any case, the two new CSA portions were picked up yesterday. The penultimate vegetable box, and another big bag of meat. Here's what was in the vegetable box:

A big pile of red potatoes
2 carrots
3 beets
A bunch of Mizuna greens
A Delicata squash
2 onions

A green bell pepper
A Sicilian eggplant
A Tiger baby watermelon

I've amassed a serious squash collection in my cabinet - I don't think I've used any of the squashes we've received yet because I find them a bit of a pain to use, since they can be so difficult to peel and slice up. They also go bad the slowest, so I have more flexibility in when I use them. The next few weeks, though, will be squash-tastic - if you have any squash recipe suggestions, please pass them along.

As for the meat, I'm very excited about using it all. I can't rattle it all off from memory, but there was osso buco in there, and pork sausage, a beef roast I can make a pot roast with, T-bone steaks, and a rack of lamb...the list goes on, but those are definitely my highlights. I think with the beef roast and the assorted root vegetables I've gotten in the last little while, a pot roast is definitely on the list of future posts.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alexa!
    I just made this yesterday for pre-halloween party diner: www.101cookbooks.com/archives/mark_bittman_autumn_millet_bake_recipe.html
    It turned out really really good! I think you'll like it as well. Peeling and chopping was somewhat of a pain, but it's worth it. I added chunks of apple as well.

    For the last three weeks though, I've just been roasting squash in the oven. Slice it in half lengthwise (sometimes then also into smaller pieces) and roast in the oven. All the different squash taste different, but they're all good even plain. You can also then scoop out the flesh, mix with coconut milk and make soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
     Fest Diner

    ReplyDelete