Friday, August 28, 2009

Sausage and potatoes, and roasted eggplant

I really like eggplant, but for some reason cooking it has a history of being touch-and-go for me. It got to the point in grad school that we'd always buy Japanese eggplants, because the flavor of the typical globe eggplants would be so unreliable when I cooked them. That's the glorious thing about getting these boxes of veggies, though - if there's a globe eggplant in the box, well, we have to do something with it.

Again I turned t
o Mark Bittman for inspiration. (For those thinking this is monotonous, you seriously should check out this cookbook. I'm in love - and a non-baking cookbook rarely holds my attention this long.) He suggested a broiled eggplant with miso-walnut vinaigrette. Since we don't have a broiler-safe pan, though, I was nervous about using my Pyrex pans - which clearly say "no broiler" on them. Instead, I cranked up the heat in the oven to 500 degrees, and followed Mr. Bittman's instructions.

Basically, here's what I did:

1) Cut an eggplant in half lengthwise. Rub it with vegetable oil and salt.
2) Roast at 500 degrees (or if you can, broil), cut side up, until browned on top.
3) While it's in the oven, whisk together some miso paste, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, using proportions to taste. Add in some chopped walnuts.
4) When the eggplant is done, make cut into it a bit (sort of like a baked potato), and apply the vinaigrette.

So easy, and so good. The eggplant was perfect - a definite for the repeat list.

On the side (or was the eggplant the side?): roasted lamb Merguez sausages with red onions, and some boiled sliced new potatoes mixed in. Another Bittman suggestion, substituting roasting for broiling. Seriously, check this cookbook out.

No comments:

Post a Comment