Thursday, August 27, 2009

What to do with radishes, Part II

I'm embarrassed to admit that we didn't use the radishes we got last week - not for lack of interest, but they just got soft before I had a chance to use them. Happily, though, the little cucumbers from last week lasted longer, and were still fit to use last night.

My plan: a sweet radish and cucumber salad. On Epicurious, I came across a few uses for radishes and cucumbers that brined the vegetables. For dinner, I made a quick brine using cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, and let it soak for 10 minutes. The recipe is found here. I think this use of radishes is the best yet - and it was excellent a day later for lunch. I plan to experiment a bit with the flavors of the brine, and possibly the vegetables the radishes are paired with. The salad would probably be just as delicious without any other vegetable at all!

On the side with the radish and cucumber salad: some pan-grilled steak, corn on the cob, and leftover potato salad from last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment