Saturday, September 26, 2009

Baking class - finally!

Today was the first session of the baking class I'm taking through the Continuing Education program at George Brown College. Months after going for a tour there, going through the whole rigamarole of not getting in because I didn't apply early enough (What? You need my high school transcripts, too?), and ultimately finding a day job that keeps me happy doing what I already know how to do pretty well, the day of the first class finally arrived.

First day's class: pie dough and uniforms. Our instructor gave us a tour through some of the equipment we would need. Unsurprising to those who have seen my kitchen, I own about 95% of what's on the list already. However, that will not stop me from visiting Cayne's tomorrow to get better versions of what I have (my scraper isn't bendy enough!), and to fill in the gaps.

Then we traipsed down to the bookstore and picked up our uniforms. It is required we wear them in class, and they were included in the cost of the class. I'm guessing this is a bonus of the fact that the sizes were made for men, but...I'm a size XXXS. In pants and the top. It just made the kitchen even more of a fantasy land of gumdrops and rainbows than it was before!

After we all had our uniforms, our instructor demonstrated how to make pie dough, and then sent us to our stations to follow through. After this, I think I'm no longer afraid of pie dough - finally, someone checked over my shoulder to tell me that yes, the pea-sized blobs of shortening were the right size, and yes, I had mixed in the water-sugar-salt mixture enough. Ina Garten just can't do that from your television set. Now I, the timid pie-baker, want to practice this week making pie. If that's not already my money's worth on this class, I don't know what is.

Next week: we use that dough to make apple pie. I'll have pictures to show off our results!

No comments:

Post a Comment