Sunday, September 13, 2009

Lest you thought this would end in October...

On Wednesday night, I had the opportunity to attend the Harvest Wednesdays Tasting event at the Gladstone Hotel, courtesy of Taste TO. So I wouldn't attend alone - and because he loves this stuff as much as I do - P bought himself a ticket and downtown we went. There were lots of vendors of locally-made and locally-farmed products; I was a veritable pig in sh*t.

Thank goodness I had cash in my wallet, because I would have been heartbroken to miss out on buying some cinnamon honey (in a bear jar, no less!) and chai lip balm from Honey Pie Hives and Herbals, garlic and Cajun Ontario peanuts and smooth peanut butter from Kernal Peanuts, and some milkweed pods from Forbes Wild Foods.

Possibly the best moment of the evening, though, was finding a meat CSA that would fit P's and my needs. The one offered through Culinarium is just too big for the two of us, and it seemed too expensive. This one, though, has enough variety in the size of the shares and the types of meat to make it doable for two - and the price is right. For those in the Toronto area, check out Twin Creeks Organic Farm. They even have turkeys available - and for you who know of my love of the American Thanksgiving dinner, this is exciting stuff.

We also found a CSA that will be experimenting with doing vegetables in the winter: Kawartha Ecological Growers, which I'm considering signing up for. We might get sick of potatoes and squash, but I think it could be worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment