Tuesday, June 2, 2009

First haul

Here's what was in our first haul from Triple Cord Mennonite Farms, a collection of 22 farms in Elgin County, Ontario:

- spinach
- bok choy
- two bunches of lettuce
- a cucumber
- green onions
- a bunch of radishes
- asparagus
- rhubarb
- several Mennonite sausages

The farmer added the sausages to the box for the week because the weather hasn't cooperated for the last two months, making the first harvest smaller than he would have liked. All of the produce is organic, and I've already washed and put away the greens for the week, lest they go bad before P and I can eat them all.

Here's my plan to use the haul:
- Flaky green onion pancakes (a la Dorie Greenspan, see her recent blog post) and stir-fried bok choy, which we'll have with some shrimp fried rice
- Homemade spinach pizza
- Glazed radishes, which we'll eat with a pork tenderloin and some salad
- Mennonite sausages with perogies and roasted asparagus

I'm not sure what Mennonite sausage tastes like, exactly, so I'll come with a more interesting use for it after we've tried a couple of the links. All of the salad greens and cucumber will get used in a salad. I've yet to make plans for the rhubarb - P definitely wants some strawberry rhubarb pie, but I need to find some good strawberries first.

I'll be posting pictures and reviews of what I make over the next few days, along with recipes (if they turn out to be worth eating again). Any suggestions for using the rhubarb, sans strawberries? A compote is definitely a possibility, but that feels too easy...

3 comments:

  1. hi lex! yay, i'm glad you have a blog! and i'm hoping to get a CSA share when i'm back in ann arbor next year, so i'm excited to mooch off them next year. :)
    love,
    jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb pie doesn't have to be with strawberries. Look here: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can't find local strawberries at the market this weekend, that's what I'll do! I'm still nervous about pie crust, though...it's always touch-and-go when I make it.

    ReplyDelete