Friday, June 26, 2009

Tofu & green onion stir fry

This week has been a busy one - but I've still managed to use most of the veggies so far. The strawberries were eaten for dessert and on breakfast cereal; the peas were used in a soup, suggested by Kimberley, who left the recipe in the comments of this post.

Last night, our friend Z came over for dinner so I could have help eating some of the remaining vegetables. On the menu: stir-fried tofu with spring onions, and stir-fried bok choy. Believe it or not, the bok choy from last week was still good - fresh in its Ziplock in the crisper. The fact that they were still fresh gives you an idea of how old the vegetables are at the grocery store when they go limp and sad only a few days after bringing them home.

The stir-fried tofu and spring onion recipe came from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and the bok choy recipe was previously posted here. Both were tasty; I had no idea how sweet stir-fried green onions could be. Would I make them again? Obviously the bok choy is one to be repeated, since I've already made it twice. The tofu stir-fry? Maybe - but only if I'm eating without P. In this recipe, the flavor of the tofu isn't supplanted by anything; there's only a smattering of soy sauce to overpower the soy flavor. I don't mind it, but it definitely wouldn't be up P's alley.

What's next? I'm not sure - it depends on what I find at the Evergreen Brick Works Farmer's Market tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I made the Bittman scallions recipe tonight, but used chicken instead of tofu. Also used sesame seed oil instead of peanut oil. I halved the recipe and used too much oil, which made it especially delicious :)

    ReplyDelete