Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This week's haul

There was lots in this week's box - and while I unpacked it, I still haven't washed everything yet...too much to do today so far.

Here's what I have to work with:
- a giant head of lettuce
- another purple kohlrabi
- 2 more small beets
- green beans
- peas
- strawberries
- green onions
- spinach
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 of a green cabbage
- 1 tomato
- some mint and bergamot tea leaves (an extra added on at the last minute - the farmers had extra)


I'm going to bet that this week is going to be busy, and that I won't have much inclination to cook, since P isn't around - so I'm going to head off the inevitable waste (and use up some of what's left in my fridge)
tonight. Here's the plan:

Roasted root vegetables

Roast beets, wrapped in tin foil, in a 400 degree F oven. In the same oven, roast 1 inch pieces of kohlrabi and carrots, sprinkled with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.

Once the beets are roasted and cool, peeling off the skin is easy. Cut into pieces roughly the same size as the kohlrabi and carrots.
Put in refrigerator for use later in the week, but store separate from the other vegetables so they don't stain them.

And what will I do with the pre-roasted veggies?
- add to a green salad, along with feta or goat cheese, some toasted nuts, and some dried cranberries, maybe a hard-boiled egg, and any other vegetables that seem tasty
- cut into smaller pieces and fry for a side with eggs and bacon (breakfast for dinner - my favorite!)

Any other suggestions for using this type of pre-cooked vegetable are welcome. I'm guessing with the quantities I have, this will use it up.
The heat this week in Toronto is definitely begging for salads and foods served cold (though I've been dreaming of experimenting with a spinach calzone...) I'm also thinking of ways to use the beet and kohlrabi greens that is appropriate for the weather. My greatest food challenge this week: using the green onions I've amassed. Any suggestions?



4 comments:

  1. I would try making these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_onion_pancake

    I remember having them at Sha-Lin in Vancouver and they were amazing...especially with malt vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made green onion pancakes a few weeks ago - I've found a stir-fried tofu and green onion recipe, but if I still have green onions left, I'm definitely making the pancakes, too! (Though this different recipe might be worth a shot - and I'd need to get some malt vinegar, which sounds yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexa, the beet greens are great in salad too in case you didn't know. I've made a wonderful salad with roasted fennel, roasted beets, beet greens, and grapefruit. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't think of anything else for the vegetables, but for the strawberries, you might boil down inexpensive balsamic vinegar to a thick sauce to dip the strawberries in. It's one of Mollie Katzen's favorite tricks. Just watch the pan carefully at as it thickens so it doesn't end up permanently at the bottom of the pan!

    ReplyDelete